|Air Products - Learn: Mold|
|Air Products - Learn: Mold
Only a small number of molds are widely recognized allergens. The seeds of molds are called spores. Each spore that germinates creates new mold growth, which in turn, can produce millions of spores. Because they are so tiny, the spores may get past the protective mechanisms of the nose and upper respiratory tract and bring on allergy symptoms.
In the home, mold flourishes in warm, moist, dimly lit areas including damp basements and closets, bathrooms (especially shower stalls), places where fresh food is stored, refrigerator drip trays, house plants, air-conditioners, humidifiers, garbage pails, mattresses, upholstered furniture, and old foam rubber pillows.
Once established, a mold colony is visible as spots or streaks. It's the spores that contain the allergen, and once they become airborne and are inhaled, your symptoms begin.
What can be done to decrease exposure to mold?
Monitor humidity with a or and use a if necessary
Use diluted bleach or to eliminate visible mold growth.
After cleaning surfaces and removing mold, use as a sealant to prevent mold from growing back.
Use mold resistant shower curtains or mold reducing shower squeegees to eliminate excess moisture
Use a mold and mildew remover or M-1 House Wash on hard surfaces to kill mold on contact
Avoid carpets in bathrooms or use only washable throw rugs
Keep humidity under 50 percent by using air conditioners, and supplement with dehumidifiers in the summer.
Use a HEPA air purifier for the removal of mold spores.
Allow moisture to escape from the home. Ventilate the shower and cooking areas. Open windows when the outside humidity is low.
Wear a face mask when mowing the lawn or gardening.