|Allergy Relief Products - Air Purifiers Vacuum Cleaners Vapor Steam Cleaners Dehumidifiers Humidifiers pollen mold cat food hayfever allergy relief products|
Blueair review. A breakthrough in air purifier technology
Seldom do we rave about a product, especially about air cleaners, which we regard as an area of frequent gross misrepresentation and exaggeration. So when we tell you this product is a winner and the best of its type we have seen anywhere, you can bet that is a very strong endorsement from us. The follows:
1. Sleek Styling. Most air cleaners are plain ugly and by preference you'd want to hide them somewhere. This air cleaner has contemporary sleek Swedish styling, a refreshing change. Cream colored for blending with most furnishings.
2. Silent. Our biggest complaint about air cleaners is they sound like a train going through your bedroom at night. This air cleaner has four speeds. Even at level three you can hardly hear it. What does this mean to you? This is the only air cleaner we have found which gives more than adequate number of air changes per hour on lower fan speeds. This means you can sleep at night. At level 3 this machine is rated at 200 cfm.
3. Powerful. When the machine is at level 4 high fan speed, it has a 382 CFM rating. What does this mean? It means that put this machine on high speed and it cleans the air of particulate faster than any other machine we have seen in the market place.
4. Economical to run. This air cleaner costs about the same as a 15 to 70 watt lightbulb to run. This means you can run this air cleaner continuously and not be worried about your electricity bill. To put it bluntly most air cleaners cost you a small fortune in electricity- some we have tested, cost almost $300 per year to run!
5. Easy to maintain. When it came to changing the filters we were astonished. It takes all of 30 seconds at most, with no screwdrivers, no fussing trying to figure out what goes where. What's more you can visually check in seconds if your filter is all clogged up and dirty. If you don't change your filters you cannot expect them to do the job for you. Yet most people never change them or if they do change them way too late. Interim maintenance is simple- just vacuum the inside.
6. Reduces but does not eliminate odors through a good-sized carbon filter. A larger filter is available by request for aiding in smoke removal.
7. AHAM tested. This machine was independendently tested and ranked first of the 150 products tested.
8. Negative Ionizer. This machine has an internal negative ionizer which means that there is no "black wall effect". This feature also serves to enhance the air cleaning performance of the machine with no ozone production.
Quite honestly these were difficult to find. However, this is not a small machine, and is slightly larger than its competition. While not obtrusive in styling, it takes up space and visual real estate. The following criticism may be unfair as it depends on how much you use the machine [continuously versus seasonally or only at night]- however after about 4,500 hours of continuous use [6 months X 24 hours a day] the 3 filters need replacing at a hefty $99. So,this may a little unfair as most filters need replacing more frequently than most users know. Most users are operating machines with ineffective filters but the user does not know it. However, Blue Air is committed to their machines operating at peak efficiency.
So, what more is there to say? Not the cheapest option for air cleaning but simply one of the very best choices you can make. We love this machine. This product truly deserves its five stars and category winner status.
You may purchase the Blueair air purifier at our .
Water filtration issues
Physicians for Social Responsibility report on in their conference on Water Filtration that: "Arsenic and Old Laws," an NRDC report released in March that reviews data from 25 states, concludes that between 34 and 56 million Americans drink tap water with arsenic levels that exceed an estimated cancer risk of one in 10,000. A National Academy of Sciences panel recommended last year that EPA substantially lower the arsenic standard. NRDC's report can be found at:
In our store we have .
by Murray Grossan
A preview version of the upcoming book "The Sinus Cure" co-authored by Murray Grossan MD is available as an e-book for $5 at .
Dr Grossan is extremely knowledgeable about sinusitis. You can read his .
New Radon FAQ
If you have ever wondered about Radon, our new by Wayne Dean explains it all in a simple yet comprehensive manner. All house-owners should pay attention to this one especially if you have not had a radon test done on your house.
New FAQ on role of EPA in product certification
New FAQ about role of EPA in certifying environmental products. , it is highly illuminating.
In the journals
by Murray Grossan MD
March Issue of Allergy by Dr Dan Gustafsson
Dr Gustafsson's study showed children with atopic dermatitis often improved by the time they reached age 7 years old. However, about half developed asthma and allergic rhinitis. About 20% of the children with childhood eczema did not develop asthma or nasal allergy. Dr Grossan points to the importance of maintaining a dust proof bedroom for the atopic eczema child, not having a cat or dog, and a non smoking home environment.
In the March issue of Epidemiology
Dr. Anne-Louise Ponsonby found that Infants exposed to tobacco smoke or home gas heating have a higher risk of developing asthma. The worst situation was if there were two smokers in the infant's room accompanied by a gas heater and poor ventilation. Dr Grossan also adds that keeping cats and dogs out of the bedroom is important as well as controlling the dust mite population. In his opinion dust proofing an infant's bedroom should be mandatory.
Book review "Taking Charge of Asthma"
by Betty Wray MD
The book for every bookshelf for every asthma sufferer is "Taking Charge of Asthma" by Betty Wray MD. Dr Wray is the former past president of the American College of Asthma, Allergy, and Immunology. Our Chief Medical officer, Murray Grossan really likes this one. The new era in health is being responsible for managing your own symptoms. Thankfully, Betty is a doctor who embraces that thinking. Read Dr Grossan's Review of her book.
She also has a superb FAQ on on our site you won't want to miss.
An upright Sanitaire - a great upright vacuum
An you should know about: Now I know most of you out there like your old trusty upright vacuum cleaner despite all the research that clearly shows that hepa canisters are more effective in reducing allergens. I was brought up with an upright so I understand the reluctance to change the habits of a lifetime. Well, there is one upright that has all the features and effectiveness of the best canisters.It has a fully sealed post hepa motor [no other upright has this even if they are hepa]. This vacuum is the top of the line Sanitaire from Eureka. It is not cheap but it is terrific value for money.
The Sanitaire 899 vacuum cleaner has traditionally been offered to commercial users. Commercial vacuum cleaner machines are built to last and take the punishment of 8 hours a day, 7 days a week usage. So if you buy the Sanitaire 899 vacuum cleaner as a home user it will last most of your lifetime, making it a good economic choice over the long term.
It has a double ball bearing motor designed to last twice the life of domestic models. It is also the first, completely sealed ,true hepa commercial upright vacuum cleaner system. It is also protected from heat overload with a built in thermal protector. The features that particularly caught our attention were the 50 foot quick release long cord avoiding the irritation of changing plugs to finish vacuuming a room. In fact this cord is so long you can vacuum the whole floor of your house. Normally, the use of onboard tools with an upright vacuum cleaner is a contortion ,with the upright ending up falling over at some point during the operation. Not so with this machine. The hose for the tools is the only one we have seen long enough to avoid tipping over. The tools themselves were really high quality and we particularly liked the horsehair dusting brush, the best we have seen anywhere. No tools are necessary to open this machine up for belt changes, the base opens up easily with a penny. When you open the front of the vacuum cleaner there is a change line on the bag-simple but useful. For those of you addicted to heavy duty suction for your carpets, this one is a real power horse. It also has 7 carpet height adjustments.
It also has a much wider base than other uprights so cleans more at one pass and one of the secrets to its superior suction power is a bristle ball bearing brush roll. While you are not going to have to lift it often, due to the length of the cord, it does have a handle that is sufficiently balanced so you can pick it up with relative ease.
Actually these were surprisingly hard to find. A disadvantage of all upright vacuum cleaners in our opinion is that they are not really designed to do bare floors. So, if you have a mix of carpets and bare floors (and we hope you do as an allergy sufferer) then getting an upright vacuum cleaner to do floors is a bit cumbersome. You can do it with this machine but remember it was not really built for that purpose. For those of you for whom weight is the deciding factor this machine weighs in at 18.5 lbs. This is a lot heavier to push around than say the turbo or power head of a canister vacuum cleaner. It is also on the pricey side but given what it offers we do understand why and actually is excellent value compared to some over priced vacuum cleaners sold door to door.
This is a rugged power horse of a vacuum cleaner designed to last most of your lifetime. It is best used in a setting where there are "challenging" and wall to wall carpets to be kept clean. We were very impressed with it despite our general prejudice against uprights. This one, as they say is a
'keeper'. So if you are looking for an , the is our favorite.
You may purchase the Sanitaire at our .