|Holmes HAP223/HAP2234 HEPA Air Purifier Instructions|
HEPA Air Purifier
PLEASE READ AND SAVE THESE IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and injury to persons, including the following:
1. Read all instructions before using appliance.
2. To avoid fire and shock hazard, plug the appliance directly into a 120V AC electrical outlet.
3. If the filter is covered by a bag when shipped: remove plastic bag before use.
4. Keep the cord out of heavy traffic areas. To avoid fire hazard NEVER put the cord under rugs, near heat registers, radiators, stoves or heaters.
5. To protect against electrical hazards DO NOT immerse in water or other liquids. Do not use near water.
6. Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by, or near children or disabled persons.
7. Always unplug the air purifier before moving it, opening the grill, changing the filters or whenever the air purifier is not in use. Be sure to pull by the plug and not the cord.
8. NEVER drop or insert any object into any openings.
9. Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug, if motor fan fails to rotate, after the appliance malfunctions, or if it has been dropped or damaged in any manner. Return appliance to manufacturer for examination, electrical or mechanical adjustment or repair.
10. Use appliance only for the intended household use as described in this manual. Any other use not recommended by the manufacturer may cause fire, electric shock or injury to persons. The use of attachments not recommended or sold by the Holmes Group may cause hazards.
11. Do not use outdoors.
12. Never block the air openings, or place on soft surface, such as bed or sofa, as this could cause the unit to tip over thus blocking the air intake opening.
13. Keep unit from heated surfaces and open flames.
14. DO NOT attempt to repair or adjust any electrical or mechanical functions on this unit. Doing so will void the warranty. The inside of the unit contains no user serviceable parts. All servicing should be performed by qualified personnel only.
15. WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire or electrical shock, DO NOT use this air purifier with any solid-state speed control device.
16. DO NOT place anything on top of the unit.
THIS PRODUCT IS EQUIPPED WITH A POLARIZED AC (Alternating Current) PLUG (a plug having one blade wider than the other). This plug will fit into the power outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact qualified personnel to install the proper outlet.
DO NOT DEFEAT THE SAFETY PURPOSE OF THIS POLARIZED PLUG IN ANY WAY
CORD AND PLUG INSTALLATION SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
The length of cord used on this appliance was selected to reduce the hazards of becoming tangled in, or tripping over a longer cord. If a longer cord is necessary an approved extension cord may be used. The electrical rating of the extension cord must be equal to or greater than the rating of the air purifier. Care must be taken to arrange the extension cord so that it will not drape over the countertop or table-top where it can be pulled on by children or accidentally tripped over.
Your Air Purifier has an independently controlled ionizer, which, when turned on, releases negative ions into outgoing filtered air. Ions are tiny particles that carry a positive or negative charge. These ions exist naturally around us, in the air, water and ground. Both positive and negative ions are colorless, odorless and completely harmless.
Negative ions help the air purification process by attaching themselves to very small airborne particles in the room. These particles take on a negative charge and may join with positively charged particles such as dust, pollen, smoke and pet dander to form larger particles that are then more readily captured by the filter system, or they may be attracted to positively charged surfaces like walls or floors.
You may also note after extended use, that dust may have collected around the grills or front panel. This is from the ionization affect caused by the negative ions exiting from the air outlet. This is additional evidence of the air cleaning effectiveness of negative ions. The dust can be easily removed with a clean, damp cloth or soft brush.
NOTE: It is important to replace the HEPA filter at the recommended intervals. Using the ionizer in conjunction with dirty filters may result in dirty particles exiting the air purifier and being attracted to walls, carpets, furniture or other household objects. These dirty particles may prove very difficult to remove.
1. Carefully unpack your Air Purifier. Select a firm level place where there are no obstructions to the air inlet or filtered air outlet. A good location in a room is approximately 1 foot away from the wall, on a tabletop or desktop in a central location of your home.
2. Pull air inlet grill towards you by grasping the finger tabs on both sides.
3. Remove carbon pre-filter by pulling off prongs.
4. Remove plastic bag from booster filter.
5. Remove HEPA filter by gripping on both sides and pulling forward.
6. Remove protective plastic bag from the filter cartridge.
7. These models utilize hang tabs and filter clip. The clip can only be attached to the tabs on the filter one way. The filter clip should easily slide onto the filter hang tab with only a small amount of pressure. DO NOT use force while attaching the clip to the filter. Align the clip on the top of the HEPA filter with the rails on the inside of the purifier unit. Gently slide the filter onto the rail.
NOTE: The side with the soft gasket should face inward.
8. Replace the carbon pre-filter and be sure to align the 4 prongs on the unit with the corresponding holes on the carbon filter.
9. Replace air inlet grill back onto unit securely.
DO NOT POINT OUTLET TOWARDS WALL.
1. Plug into a 120V AC electrical outlet.
2. Select the desired operating speed. This Holmes Air Purifier has two different speed settings. You can select from HIGH, or LOW by sliding the switch to the desired setting. The power light will illuminate letting you know the power is on.
3. To release negative ions into the filtered air, slide the ionizer switch to ON and the light will illuminate.
4. For optimum air filtration, it is recommended to operate the air purifier continuously. Its rugged motor has been designed to give many years of use.
For continuous use, it's recommended to operate the air purifier at the HIGH setting. For quieter operation or use in a bedroom, select the LOW setting.
Turn off and unplug the unit before cleaning.
1. The outside of the air purifier can be cleaned with a soft, damp cloth.
2. The air inlet grill can be removed and washed in warm soapy water (not dishwasher safe). Dry before replacing in the unit.
3. The top air outlet grill can be cleaned of dust with a small soft brush.
WARNING: Do not allow moisture to come in contact with the main housing of the air purifier.
FILTER REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS
1. Filter Indicator ¨C a filter reminder dial is manually set to remind the user when it is time to replace the filter.
2. Every few weeks, check the condition of the filters.
3. Remove the air inlet grill and examine the carbon pre-filter. If you have noticed a reduction in odor removal and/or a noticeable amount of dust or lint, replace with a new carbon filter.
4. The carbon pre-filter should be replaced every 2-3 months. This helps extend the life of the HEPA filter and provides optimal odor removal.
5. With the front grill removed, check the condition of your HEPA filter. If the filter is dirty, remove the used HEPA cartridge and properly dispose of it. Do NOT try to wash and re-use the HEPA filter. Replace with a new HEPA filter, removing the protective polybag before inserting into the air purifier.
NOTE: The side with the soft gasket should face inward.
6. The filter reminder dial should be set ahead 3-6 months depending on usage.
7. Filter Life ¨C Under normal conditions of continuous use, the HEPA filter will operate efficiently for 3-6 months.
Replacement filters are available from your local supplier or by calling 1-800-5-Holmes.
1. DO NOT attempt to repair or adjust any electrical or mechanical functions on this unit. Doing so will void the Warranty.
2. If you need to exchange the unit, please return it in its original carton, with a sales receipt, to the store where you purchased it. If you are returning the unit more than 30 days after the date of purchase, please see the enclosed Warranty.
3. If you have any questions or comments regarding this unit's operation or believe any repair is necessary, please write to our Consumer Service Department or visit our website at www.holmesproducts.com.
THE HOLMES GROUP, INC.
CONSUMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT
32B SPUR DRIVE
EL PASO, TX 79906
Three (3) YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
SAVE THIS WARRANTY INFORMATION
A. The quality controls used in the manufacture of this product are to ensure your satisfaction.
B. This Warranty applies only to the original purchaser of this product.
C. This Warranty applies ONLY to repair or replacement of any supplied or manufactured parts of this product that, upon inspection by The Holmes Group, Inc., authorized personnel, proves to have failed in normal use due to defects in material or workmanship. The Holmes Group will determine whether to repair or replace the unit. This Warranty does not apply to installation expenses.
D. Operating this unit under conditions other than those recommended or at voltages other than the voltage indicated on the unit, or attempting to service or modify the unit, will render this WARRANTY VOID.
E. Unless otherwise proscribed by law, The Holmes Group shall not be liable for any personal injury, property or any incidental or consequential damages of any kind (including water damage) resulting from malfunctions, defects, misuse, improper installation or alteration of this product. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
F. All parts of this product are guaranteed for a period of 3 year as follows:
1.Within the first 30 days from date of purchase, the store from which you purchased your product should replace this product if it is defective in material or workmanship (provided the store has in-stock replacement.)
2.Within the first thirty six months from date of purchase, subject to the conditions in paragraph H, The Holmes Group will repair or replace the product if it is defective in material or workmanship providing it is returned to The Holmes Group, freight prepaid, with PROOF OF PURCHASE date, together with $6.00 for handling and return packing/shipping charges.
G. If you have any problem with this product, please write our Consumer Service Department.
H. IMPORTANT Return INSTRUCTIONS Your Warranty depends on your following these instructions if you are returning the unit more than 30 days after the date of purchase:
1. Carefully pack the item in its original carton or other suitable box to avoid damage in shipping.
2. Before packing your unit for return; be sure to enclose:
a) your name, full address with zip code and telephone number,
b) a dated sales receipt or PROOF OF PURCHASE,
c) your $6.00 check for return packaging, and
d) The model number of the unit and the problem you are having. (Enclose in an envelope and tape directly to the unit before the box is sealed.)
3. The Holmes Group recommends you insure the package (as damage in shipment is not covered by your Warranty).
4. All shipping charges must be prepaid by you (as noted in paragraph F).
5. Mark the outside of your package:
THE HOLMES GROUP, INC.
32B SPUR DRIVE
EL PASO, TX 79906
SHIPPING AND HANDLING CHARGES: $7.00 (USD)
This Warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state. The provisions of this Warranty are in addition to, and not a modification of, or subtraction from, the statutory warranties and other rights and remedies contained in any applicable legislation. To the extent that any provision of this Warranty is inconsistent with any applicable law, such provision shall be deemed voided or amended, as necessary, to comply with such law.