|Holmes HAP240 Series HEPA Air Purifier Instructions|
HEPA Air Purifier Instructions
PLEASE READ AND SAVE THESE IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and injury to persons, including the following:
1. Read all instructions before using appliance.
2. To avoid fire and shock hazard, plug the appliance directly into a 120V AC electrical outlet.
3. If the filter is covered by a bag when shipped: remove plastic bag over filter before use.
4. Keep the cord out of heavy traffic areas. To avoid fire hazard NEVER put the cord under rugs, near heat registers, radiators, stoves or heaters.
5. To protect against electrical hazards DO NOT immerse in water or other liquids. Do not use near water.
6. Close supervision is necessary whan any appliance is used by, or near children or by disabled people.
7. Always unplug the air purifier before moving it, opening the grill, changing the filters or whenever the air purifier is not in use. Be sure to pull by the plug and not the cord.
8. NEVER drop or insert any object into any openings.
9. Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug, if motor fan fails to rotate, after the appliance malfunctions, or if it has been dropped or damaged in any manner. Return appliance to manufacturer for examination, electrical or mechanical adjustment or repair.
10. Use appliance only for the intended household use as described in this manual. Any other use not recommended by the manufacturer may cause fire, electric shock or injury to persons. The use of attachments not recommended or sold by the Holmes Group may cause hazards.
11. Do not use outdoors.
12. Never block the air openings, or place on soft surface, such as bed or sofa, as this could cause the unit to tip over, blocking the air
13. Keep unit from heated surfaces and open flames.
14. DO NOT attempt to repair or adjust any electrical or mechanical functions on this unit. Doing so will void your warranty. The inside of the unit contains no user serviceable parts. All servicing should be performed by qualified personnel only.
15. WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire or electrical shock, DO NOT use this air purifier with any solid-state speed control device.
CORD AND PLUG INSTALLATION SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
The length of cord used on this appliance was selected to reduce the
hazards of becoming tangled in, or tripping over a longer cord. If a longer cord is necessary an approved extension cord may be used. The electrical rating of the extension cord must be equal to or greater than the rating of the air purifier. Care must be taken to arrange the extension cord so that it will not drape over the countertop or table-top where it can be pulled on by children or accidentally tripped over.
Congratulations on your purchase of a Holmes Air Purifier. Your Holmes Air Purifier has an attractive stylish design. Its versatility and quiet operation make this unit perfect for both the home and the office.
TECHNOLOGY - Your Holmes Air Purifier Model HAP242, HAP243, HAP244 or HAP246
incorporates the latest technology in portable air filtration equipment.
A powerful turbo fan system operated by a rugged long life motor,
quietly pulls the air in through the front inlet grill.
Polluted room air passes through a washable, foam pre-filter that removes larger airborne particles such as lint, dust and pollen. The air then passes through the activated carbon coated layer which helps filter odors. The partially filtered air is then drawn through a pleated long life HEPA filter. This filter removes particles as small as 0.3 microns filtering dust, pollen, smoke and pet dander.
The purified air is then returned to the room through the top mounted grill.
The air purifier will filter the air 6 times an hour in a room 10' x 11' (109 sq. ft.), 3m x3.5m (10.13m2) when on the HI setting.
IONIZER - Your Holmes air purifier has an independently controlled ionizer, which, when turned on, releases negative ions into the outgoing filtered air. Ions are tiny particles that carry a positive or negative charge. These ions exist naturally around us, in the air, water, and ground. Both positive and negative ions are colorless, odorless, and completely harmless.
Negative ions help the air purification process by attaching themselves to very small airborne particles in the room. These particles take on a negative charge and may join with positively charged particles, such as dust, pollen, smoke, and pet dander to form larger particles that are then more readily captured by the filter system, or they may be attracted to positively charged surfaces like walls or floors.
You may also note, after extended use, that dust may have collected around the grills or front panel. This is from the ionization effect caused by the negative ions exiting from the air outlet. This dust is drawn out of the uncleaned air going past the air outlet. This is additional evidence of the air-cleaning effectiveness of negative ions. The dust can be easily removed with a clean, dampened cloth or soft brush.
Please Note: It is important to replace the HEPA filter at the recommended intervals. Using the ionizer in conjunction with dirty filters may result in dirty particles exiting the air purifier and being attracted to walls, carpets, furniture, or other household objects. These dirty particles may prove very difficult to remove.
DUAL POSITION 每 The air purifier can stand upright or lie on its side. Also designed to fit with its back flush against the wall. When positioning the unit please be sure the air inlet grill, filters and air outlet are not blocked to ensure maximum airflow.
EQUIPPED with GE motor for quieter performance and the added
durability necessary for continuous use.
Filter check indicator 每 The filter check indicator will illuminate red when it is time to change the filter
Carefully unpack your Air Purifier. Select a firm, level place where
there are no obstructions to the air inlet (front grill) or filtered air
outlet (top of unit). A good location in a room is about 2 feet above
the floor and approximately 1 foot away from the wall, in a central location of your home.
2. Remove front grill by pulling the grill towards you (see fig. 1).
3. Remove the HEPA filter by gripping on both sides and pulling forward.
4. Remove protective plastic bag from the filter cartridge. The filter clip can only be attached to the hang tabs on the filter one way. The filter clip should easily slide onto the filter hang tabs with only a small amount of pressure. Do not use force while attaching the filter clip to the filter. Align the clip on the top of your HEPA filter with the railson the inside of the unit. Gently slide the filter onto the rail (see figure 2).
NOTE: The pleated material and rubber gasket should be facing towards the unit when applied.
5. Replace front grill by sliding back onto unit. Make sure that it snaps securely into position (grill only goes on one way).
NOTE: Do not point outlet towards wall.
1. Plug into a 120V AC electrical outlet.
2. Select the desired operating speed; HI, MEDIUM, LOW, by sliding the switch to the appropriate setting. If you have an HAP244 or HAP246 the speed settings are indicated with green lights. You set the speed by pressing the power button.
3. To release negative ions into the filtered air, slide the ionizer button to ON and the amber light will illuminate. If you have an HAP244 or HAP246 the ionizer is activated by pressing the ionizer symbol on the control panel. The amber light will illuminate when on.
4. The ionizer will not work unless the unit is running.
5. The HAP246 comes with a remote control. To operate the unit you simply depress the desired buttons.
6. For optimum air filtration, it is recommended to operate the air purifier continuously. Its rugged motor has been designed to give many years of use.
For continuous use, it is recommended to operate the air purifier at the NORMAL setting.
For quieter operation or use in a bedroom, select the QUIET setting. When high levels of air pollution are present, select the HI setting to quickly circulate and filter the room air.
FILTER CHANGE INDICATOR 每 When the filter change indicator turns red it is time to replace your filter. See filter replacement instructions for more details.
Turn off and unplug the unit before cleaning.
1. The outside of the air purifier can be cleaned with a soft, clean, dampened cloth.
2. The front grill can be removed and washed in warm soapy water
(Not dishwasher safe). Dry before replacing in the unit.
3. The top air outlet grill can be cleaned of dust with a small soft brush.
WARNING: Do not allow moisture to come in contact with the main housing of the air purifier.
FILTER REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS
1. Filter Check Indicator 每 There are three different types of indicators used in our air purifiers. Your air purifier may have one of the following: a filter condition sticker that serves as a color coded reference point. A filter reminder dial that is manually set to remind the user when it is time to replace the filter. Or an indicator light that illuminates when it is time to change the filter.
2. Every few weeks, check the condition of the filters.
3. Remove the front grill. If the unit is equipped with a foam pre-filter, examine the filter. If it has collected a noticeable amount of dust or lint, remove it from the inlet of the grill and wash it in warm soapy water. Rinse and drip dry the pre-filter thoroughly before replacing it into the inlet of the grill.
4. If there is a separate carbon odor filter it should be replaced every 2-3 months. This helps extend the life of the HEPA filter and provides optimal odor removal.
5. With the front grill removed, check the condition of your HEPA filter. If the filter is dirty remove the used HEPA cartridge and dispose of it in the garbage. Do NOT try to wash and re-use the HEPA filter. Replace with a new HEPA filter, removing the protective polybag before inserting into the air purifier.
6. Units with a filter reminder dial should be set ahead 3-6 months depending on usage.
7. Units which have an indicator light must be reset once the HEPA filter has been replaced. Reset indicator by inserting a small object (such as a pin or paperclip) into the hole marked reset. (fig. 2)
NOTE: The rubber gasket should be facing towards the unit when applied.
8. Filter Life 每 Under normal conditions of continuous use, the HEPA filter will operate efficiently for 3-6 months.
Replacement filters are available from your local supplier or by calling 1-800-5Holmes.
Unit will not operate
Check to make sure unit is properly plugged in.
Check to make sure the unit is on by sliding the power switch to the ON position, or by pressing the power button.
Decreased air flow
Check the filters to see if they are in good condition and if they need to be changed.
Check to ensure nothing is blocking air inlet and
filtered air outlet.
1. Do NOT attempt to repair or adjust any electrical or mechanical functions on this unit. Doing so will void the Warranty.
2. If you need to exchange the unit, please return it in its original carton, with a sales receipt, to the store where you purchased it. If you are returning the unit more than 30 days after the date of purchase, please see the enclosed Warranty.
3. If you have any questions or comments regarding this unit's operation or believe any repair is necessary, please write to our Consumer Service Department or visit our website at www.holmesproducts.com.
THE HOLMES GROUP, INC.
CONSUMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT
32 B SPUR DRIVE
EL PASO, TX 79906
THREE (3) YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
SAVE THIS WARRANTY INFORMATION
A. This Warranty applies only to the original purchaser of this product.
B. This Warranty applies ONLY to repair or replacement of any supplied or manufactured parts of this product that, upon inspection by The Holmes Group, Inc. authorized personnel, is shown to have failed in normal use due to defects in material or workmanship. The Holmes Group will determine whether to repair or replace the unit. This Warranty does not apply to installation expenses.
C. Operating this unit under conditions other than those recommended or at voltages other than the voltage indicated on the unit, or attempting to service or modify the unit, will render this WARRANTY VOID.
D. Unless otherwise proscribed by law, The Holmes Group shall not be liable for any personal injury, property or any incidental or consequential damage of any kind (including water damage) resulting from malfunctions, defects, misuse, improper installation or alteration of this product.
E. All parts of this product excluding filters, which are covered under separate warranty, are guaranteed for a period of 3 years as follows:
1.Within the first 30 days from date of purchase, the store from which you purchased your product should replace this product if it is defective in material or workmanship (provided the store has in-stock replacement.) * If you intend to assert any claim in connection with the product, please follow the instructions in paragraph F.
2.Within the first thirty-six months from date of purchase, The Holmes Group will repair or replace the product if it is defective in material or workmanship, subject to the conditions in paragraph G.
F. If you have any other problem or claim in connection with this product, please write our Consumer Service Department.
G. IMPORTANT RETURN INSTRUCTIONS. Your Warranty depends on your following these instructions if you are returning the unit to The Holmes Group, Inc.:
1. Carefully pack the item in its original carton or other suitable box to avoid damage in shipping.
2. Before packing your unit for return, be sure to enclose:
a) Your name, full address with zip code and telephone number,
b) A dated sales receipt or PROOF OF PURCHASE,
c) Your $6.00 check for return shipping and handling, and
d) The model number of the unit and the problem you are having. (Enclose in an envelope and tape directly to the unit before the box is sealed.)
3.The Holmes Group recommends you ship the package U.P.S ground service for tracking purposes.
4.All shipping charges must be prepaid by you.
5.Mark the outside of your package:
THE HOLMES GROUP, INC.
32 B SPUR DRIVE
EL PASO, TX 79906
SHIPPING AND HANDLING CHARGES: $6.00
This Warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state. The provisions of this Warranty are in addition to, and not a modification of, or subtraction from, the statutory warranties and other rights and remedies contained in any applicable legislation. To the extent that any provision of this Warranty is inconsistent with any applicable law, such provision shall be deemed voided or amended, as necessary, to comply with such law.