|How does the Surround Air purifier compare to Hepa air purifiers?|
What Does the Surround Air purifier do?
It cleans indoor air so it is more comfortable to breathe. The Healthy Air purifier is a high-quality air cleaner that uses electrostatic precipitation to remove airborne contaminants such as dust, cat dander, pollen, mold spore-size particles and other indoor-air irritants and pollutants, while emitting a " Fresh Air" scent.
How does the Surround Air purifier compare to Hepa air purifiers?
Hepa air purifiers and the Healthy Air purifier are comparible in that they both remove particles in the submicron range. But the HealthyAir purifier is better choice for these reasons:
How are the Collector plates cleaned?
The removable collector plates are fastened to the bottom of the unit with two large-head screws that can easily be loosened without a screw driver. To clean your plates, simply unplug your unit and then loosen the screws. (The unit automatically shuts off when you remove the dust collector plates, but un-plug it anyway). It's normal for the ionic pins to burn marks in the stainless steel plates; someone asked me if this is a sign of rust. No. Just burns. To clean the plates, simply run them under hot water and wipe them with soapy sponge, then rinse and let dry. Or you can dampen a paper towel with rubbing alcohol and clean the plates, the preferred method. How often do the plates need cleaning? If the unit is operating in a smoky bar, then you should clean the plates every few days. If you don't smoke and you live in a clean environment, then every month will suffice.
What size room can it effectivly clean?
The Healthy Air sytems are designed to treat all the air in one room or area up to 270 sq ft. (15' x 18'). Using multiple units is not only the best way to purify the air in your house, it's the only way!
Will one unit work for an entire house?
Negative ions only last for approximately 30 seconds, and are not able to pass through solid objects such as walls. So the only way to purify the air in an entire home is to buy multiple units.
How do Negative Ions purify the air?
Virtually all airborne contaminants have a positvie charge. Negative ions have a negative charge. Therefore, when there is a high enough concentration of negative ions in the air, negative ions and airborne particles magnetically attract to one another in large numbers. This marriage causes the particle to become too heavy to remain airborne. The particles then fall out of the air so that they can't be inhaled. Normal cleaning activities, such as vacuuming or dusting, finish the job. (Or if near the unit, onto the collection plates). If the particles happen to be kicked back up into the air, they will be ionized once again.
Can Ozone be harmful?
According to research, at very high concentrations, ozone can be a lung irritant. Our ionic air purifiers should not be confused with ozone generators that hardly produce any negative ions. Our units will not create ozone levels higher than 0.04 ppm (parts per million), which is well within the FDA and OSHA safety standards and at levels shown to have beneficial effects against odors and microorganisms.
How do I know it is working?
Because the XJ 2000 is so quiet, this question arises from time to time. So here's a checklist, just in case this question ever crosses your mind.
1. A Soft Hissing Sound. If you place your ear close to the front grill, you will hear a faint hiss from the "ionic breeze" emitted by the sixteen negative ion producing pins.
2. Tiny Blue Lights. If you peer inside the front grill of the ionizer in a dark setting, you will be able to see pinpoint-sized, blue lights faintly glowing. These are the tips of the ionic pins.
3. Subtle, Fresh Scent. You will smell a subtle, fresh, "rain" scent near the unit. (small amount of active oxygen)
4. Improved Air Quality. Most importantly, you will notice improvements in your air quality, such as less dust in the air, less allergy symptoms, and if you suffered before, you will notice a marked improvement in your health.
5. Particle build up on the Collector Plate. If you run a tissue over the collector plates within a few days, you'll notice a black residue.