Hamilton Beach 04162 HEPA Air Purifier with UV Germicidal Light
List Price: $200.00
Our Price: $200.00
Recommended for rooms up to 350 square feet, this portable air purifier is equipped with a UV germicidal light to help kill airborne microorganisms and a three-speed fan to continuously circulate air through two filters that remove smoke, pollen, dust, animal dander, dust mites, molds, bacteria, viruses, and odors. Helpful for asthmatics, allergy sufferers, and in a cold or flu patient's room, the purifier contains a true HEPA filter that is at least 99.97 percent effective at trapping airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns. There's also a carbon prefilter to reduce odors. One speed setting is called "whisper" for bedrooms and nurseries. Filter replacement is simple: open the front, remove the prefilter and/or HEPA filter, position a new filter(s), and reclose the front. The purifier carries a three-year warranty against defects. --Fred Brack
True HEPA filter at least 99.97-percent effective; prefilter reduces odors
3 fan speeds
3-year warranty against defects
excellent filter for the money! I have a few air purifiers now and have had a few since I was a kid. I have had asthma and allergies all my life. I currently have the kenmore electrostatic model from sears, a hap625 from walmart(least effective although I have no problem with it) and this model.
I bought this unit back in 2004 and have had no problems what so ever with it. I got this air purifier real cheap back then and the one thing I noticed was that the filter that originally came with it was very flimsy compared to the 50 dollar replacement filters. The replacements are true hepa filters good for a year(as hamilton beach says).
The filter will cover a room up to 350 sqaure feet. I got some of the CADR numbers off of another web site for comparison.
The above numbers are supposedly certified by AHAM. I have no reason not to believe them.
This unit has a very powerful fan and can produce a lot of air flow and a lot of whoosing noise. An air purifier of this quality would cost over 200.00 at sears(sears filters are highly rated by the leading consumer advocate magazine)
I just hope I can continue to buy the replacement filters from amazon. I would not hesitate to buy another Hamilton Beach air purifier in the future....more info
Over a year later, still working great Quick background: I have allergies. I don't like animal smells. I share my bedroom with 2 guinea pigs, a rabbit, and a turtle.
I bought this air purifier as a present for myself. It's the best. Before I brush my rabbit I turn this on and don't sneeze. When I start getting stuffed up I turn it on and soon I can feel my nasal passages opening. I use the UV light, since it seems to be better at getting rid of smells that way.
And yeah, it's not silent, but you're talking to a girl who (usually) sleeps through the sounds of various small critters all night. Sometimes it's nice to have a white noise going. And just a word of advice, make sure you don't turn it on when you have candles burning.
I've had this for over a year, and I only had to change the filter a handful of times. You can tell when it needs to be changed, the air starts smelling different.
Too bad this isn't for sale on amazon anymore....more info
Quiet enough for me! Works great for making non-cat oriented visitors comfortable. We mostly just use this unit when we have coming over, and while they are here. It strips the cat hair and cooking smell out of the air. We occasionally get a little moldy smell in the basement, and this unit cleans that right up also.
It is not dead quiet, but it is more quite than our furnace or or our floor-fan.
At this price, everyone should have one of these!...more info
HB Air Purifier I purchased this unit for my infant son's bedroom approximately a month ago and have been fairly happy with it to this point. He was diagnosed with asthma at 5 months old and has been controlled on medication. As we approached the fall and winter (when asthma is apparently more problematic), I wanted to try some preventative measures and thus, bought the air purifier. We leave it running on low speed at all times and try to keep his door shut. It is a bit noisier than I would have liked, but doesn't seem to disturb the baby. He seems to have had fewer incidents since we began using the air purifier, so it seems to have been a good investment....more info
Relieved my son, but the filter cost, oh my ! I was so happy to have this work to relieve my son's alergy symptoms. It isn't the quietest, but on low speed, it is rather like a white noise machine, drowning out other environmental sounds. I was dismayed to find that the filters cost so much for only three monthes of use. Luckily our situation only calls for seasonal use rather than all year long. ...more info
Good price, and good quality After using it during the nights, my wife and I have experience less allergic reaction in the mornings, and we are both very satisfied with this machine. In addition, UV Germicidal light is a plus!...more info
Very quite and works well to eliminate the dust and mold from the air Very quite and works well to eliminate the dust and mold from the air. ...more info
Works great First, I want to give Amazon two thumbs up. I bought this unit from Amazon before the Labor Day weekend the price went down for 10 bucks over the weekend. I emailed Amazon to just to ask if they have price warranty or anything like that, and within 2 hours, the reply came back saying that the price difference will be refunded to me. Great company!
I got a $60 air purifier unit from a local store first and found out that it did not work for me at all. I then read some reviews on Amazon and decided to give this one a try. It decreased my allergy symptom and improved my sleep a lot. Now I can sleep through the night without any problem caused by stuffy nose, and no more throat pain in the morning. All I am thinking is that I should have got this thing long time ago.
- It WORKS.
- Size and weight. The size is fairly small and you don't have to set it far from the wall to use it. Any one can move it around.
- Power. The menu claims that it is recommended for rooms up to 350 square feet. So far I have used it in a room as big as 230 square feet, and it did a very good job. I would be confident to say that it can handle a room of 350 square feet.
- Cost. I bought a three pack carbon filter from Amazon is about $15 and the main filter is about $43, that translates the annual filter (4 carbon and 1 main filter) cost to lower $60s. I only have seasonal allergy so my actual running cost will be lower than that. I don't have much concern about the power consumption.
- Noise. Although the noise from the lowest setting, Whisper Clean, actually helped me to go to sleep, some one might find it too loud. The middle setting is all I can stand if I am in the room and need to hear TV or other people talking. The high is even louder, enough to disturb me from doing other things.
- UV light. I am not a biologist and I am not sure how long it takes to kill germs and molds under the UV light. I believe that the germ and other stuff, if they can pass through the filters, will stay inside the unit for less than half second before they go through it next time. Don't know the half second will get them killed or not. If the light is for killing the germs trapped on the filter, it seems to be an odd location for the job.
Still, it deserves a five star rating from me. ...more info
Missing UV light bulb Check and make sure the UV light bulb is there, because both of my order are missing....more info
Owners who have the "high pitched noise" pls read When replacing the pre filter on the unit, I took the hepa filter out to do this. There is a rubber seal along the whole back side edge of the hepa filter. A piece of this broke off and caused the high pitch noise. I taped mine back and the noise went away. ...more info
Excellent product - Questionable 3rd party seller I have one of these air filters in my bedroom and it has certainly cleaned the air well. (my filters are very dirty after a month). I like the product so much that I purchased 3 more to put in other areas of the house and at work.
However... I was not happy with the $33 shipping charge per unit (over 30% of purchase price) through Wholesaler's Club. I am hoping that my order processes smoothly. Of the 28 orders the Club has comments for in the past 40 days, only 61% have reported a good rating with no trouble. (will update when shipment arrives)...more info
Pros and Cons (just a couple) of a Great Air Purifier. Pros:
- Picks up where your AC filter slacks. Our AC filter is located right outside our bedroom, and the purifier still manages to trap a large amount of airborne material that air flow from the ac doesn't pick up. This is a significant quality considering that we also use the highest rated AC filters available.
- My wife's allergies have significantly decreased. We both wake up now with the ability to breathe through our noses. It's only when she ventures to the far side of the house that she starts sneezing.
- It must cut down a lot on animal dander. We have three cats that spend a good deal of time in our bedroom (it's the coolest and darkest room in the house), and were probably the main cause of her allergies. Not so much anymore!
- The main filter only needs to be changed once a year (so says Hamilton Beach), and are reasonably priced at around $40.
- The carbon pre-filter, which should be changed every three months, costs around $8.
- Altogether about $72 a year in filters - not too shabby.
- Even on the whisper setting this bad boy spits out a large volume of air, so the claim that it can cover around 350 sq. ft. is probably accurate.
- Traps mold spores, which is great if you have an issue with that.
- Lightweight, can be easily moved to and fro.
- We have never gotten the "high pitched" noise that another reviewer mentioned - his may be defective.
- Somewhat noisy (like a rush of air), though the whisper setting isn't so bad, and I actually like it while going to sleep. I would suggest using the higher settings an hour or so before you are going to spend time in a particular room - then switch to whisper.
- Not sure how affective the UV light is...seems kind of gimmicky. I have not been able to find any documentation on its affectiveness towards bacteria/viruses, and I'm surprised that Hamilton Beach doesn't provide any info.
Advise: Be sure to read the manual before you plug it in and power on! The carbon pre-filter will need to be removed from the plastic wrap and placed appropriately on the Hepa filter. Also, the UV light will need to be removed from its box and then plugged into its bracket. This is located inside the purifier - under the top vent. Do a visual inspection of the inside of the purifier to be sure no packing material has fallen into the path of the fan.
I certainly recommend this purifier, and would have give it a full five star rating if it weren't for the two cons above.
Update (08/01/04): Just replaced the carbon prefilter for the first time...I couldn't believe how much crud had accumulated on the surface of the filter. What was once black became completely beige with air debris/dander/pollen/dust/etc. This only solidified our satisfaction with this product. ...more info
quick and easy Easy to put together. Easy to move in room. Can be placed flush against wall with out restricting air flow. Has been helpful with allergies....more info
Decent Well I don't have it yet, just its "big brother" (04163). It performs fabulously. I ordered this for an area I want to run it at a constant speed in. Personally I don't think the variable speed in the more expensive model is that big of a deal. The high speed is quite noisy, the two lower speeds aren't bad at all. Anyway, the "soon to be in stock" message is still up and was up when I ordered this two days ago.....the item has already shipped even with the supersaver shipping....more info
Mom of asthmatic toddler After researching various asthma/allergy web-sites, we bought this product for our two year old, who suffers from allergies, mild asthma and other respiratory issues. Quite frankly, we were skeptical as to whether an air purifier would help, and therefore, we did not want to spend a fortune on the products recommended by consumer reports, costing hundreds more. The Hamilton Beach purifier had strong ratings and was reasonably priced, so we decided to give it a try. From night one, we have observed marked improvements in our child's breathing and congestion. Thus far this cold and flu season, she is doing great. The only negatives are the size (a bit bulky) and it is a little noisy ("white noise" similar to a fan). Overall, we are very pleased with this product and recommend it to anyone with allergies/asthma....more info
False advertising I just recieved my filter. When I ordered it one of the features listed was a "True Hepa Filter". What i was sent was not a "True Hepa Filter". Yes, there is a differance. If you have alergies and are looking for a "True Hepa Filter". DO NOT buy this product....more info
Great deal I am really pleased with this air filter. I have tiny apartment and two cats, and having it really makes a difference with my allergies in the mornings. I leave it on high during the day and on the middle (which is significantly quieter) at night. Amazon has the best price for this model....more info
It really does work I bought this product for my wife, who has allergy problems and wakes up every morning congested and coughing. After one night of use in our bedroom she woke up feeling much better....more info
I Was Skeptical, But It Works I was extremely skeptical about whether this thing would work. But I was tired of waking up stuffed up every morning and I had to believe I'd sleep better if I wasn't so stuffy. I have a cat who sleeps at the foot of my bed, and I figured he was a big part of the problem, so I bought it.
I saw drastic improvement after two nights. I was barely stuffed up at all. I set it up to circulate clean air over to me and suck in near the cat, and it worked well. Consumer reports says that you can get a lot of the same benefit from cleaning well and opening the windows, so I tried that the next night. I washed the bedspread, vacuumed, dusted, and opened the windows. I woke up completely cleared up. Better than with this unit.
Now, do I have the time to do all that cleaning every weekend? Nope. So I'm keeping the Hamilton Beach.
People complain about the noise, and it is loud. The "whisper quiet" setting is about as loud as a 19" box fan on medium, so it isn't at all silent. But the noise is pleasantly soothing and I got right to sleep the very first night and it never bothered me. I even thought the cat would be afraid of it, but the first night I set it up on medium and ran it for an hour before bedtime and when I went to look for the cat, he was sleeping in front of it.
I thought I needed the automatic model 4162, and if I was home all day, that's the one I'd get. I live alone and you'd be nuts to leave any appliance on all day unattended, so this one is off when I'm not here. I blast it on high for an hour before bedtime and then run it on low all night. I don't want to be woken by the speed change, so the automatic feature that turns up the fan when the air quality drops wouldn't ever get used around here.
Consumer Reports says the $600 models are great, but for this price point, it really does everything I want it to do, and the anti-mold UV light is just what us foggy San Franciscans need....more info
Works Great! We really like this air purifier. The HEPA filter works well and I have added comfort with the UV light. My allergy problems virtually dissapeared overnight....more info