SPT WA-1220M 12,000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Manual Controls
List Price: $620.00
Our Price: $379.99
You Save: $240.01 (39%)
Ideally cools an area up to 400sq.ft. Effectively improves air circulation in poorly ventilated spaces and maximizes energy efficiency. Uses new UL required LCDI plug. Manual control is specifically recommended for use in Server rooms. If there's a power failure, unit will automatically turn itself back on when power resumes. Self-Evaporating Technology - during the cooling process, water is extracted from the air into the unit. Most of this water is then recycled and used to cool the cooling coils and make it run more efficiently, cooling as well as energy. Note: Exhaust hose installation required (all standard accessories included). [Features]: * 12,000btu cooling power * Self evaporating system * 2 fan speeds * LCDI (Leakage-Current Detection and Interruption) plug * Fire resistant PVC plastic housing * Removes moisture for personal comfort (dehumidifier functions automatically in AC mode) * Activated carbon filter helps remove odor * Washable air filter collects dust particles * Up to 8 hours timer * Directional air discharge louvers * Extendable exhaust hose (up to 5ft.) * Built-in water tank or extended water tube for continuous drainage * Auto-restart, if power is cut and then resumes [Specifications]: * Cooling Capacity: 12,000 BTU/hour * Heating Capacity: N/A * Power Consumption: Cooling 950W/9A * Air Volume: 520 m3/hr * Moisture Removal: 65 pints per day * Water Tank Capacity: 3.2 Pints * Window kit material: foam * Thermostat: 62??F ~ 90??F * Operating Temperature: Cooling 62??F ~ 110??F * EER: 12.63 BTU/W * Noise level (dBA): 51.5 * Controls: Manual * Power Supply: 120V / 60Hz / 1 Phase * Max Room Size: 400 sq.ft. * Timer: 1 ~ 8 hours * Fan Speed: 2 * Compressor: Rotary * Refrigerant: R22 * Exhaust pipe max length: 5ft. * Exhaust pipe diameter: 5 in. * Window kit length: Max 48 in. * Dimension: 15.75?¡ÀW x 15.5?¡ÀD x 30.5?¡ÀH * Net Weight: 70 lbs [Warranty]: One-year warranty for all parts and labor
12,000-BTU portable air conditioner with manual controls
65-pint dehumidifier in AC mode; for up to 400 square feet
Self-evaporating system; 2 fan speeds; 12.63 EER
3-1/5-pint water tank; 8-hour timer; air filter; carbon filter
Measures 15-1/2 by 15-3/4 by 30-1/2 inches; 1-year limited warranty
My best purchase I purchased this air conditioner (WA-1220M) three years ago and I can honestly say that it is the best purchase that I have made. The unit does wonders year-round.
I live in an apartment in northern MN, less than a mile from Lake Superior. The summer temperatures do not typically exceed the mid-80's to low 90's, but when you add high humidity, it feels much hotter than the actual temperature. This unit does an AWESOME job at dehumidifying and it also cools my place to a comfortable temperature. It also has fan settings that I use year-round.
Unlike a previous rater, I have no problems with the window seal (I even have extra length of the "foam" that they include).
The drain for the dehumidifier does use a flexible plastic tube and, while it may not be *ideal*, I find that it works well. (I elevate my unit a couple of inches and have it continuously drain into a large basin that I can then empty).
Although this unit is technically a portable unit, it is rather heavy. This is not a problem for me because I do not have to carry it up/down stairs on a regular basis - the wheels help me move it from one location to another if I choose to switch things up, but I typically just keep it in my bedroom and find that it works well.
BOTTOM LINE: This product exceeded my expectations. Not only does it cool my apartment, it also dehumidifies amazingly!! It also has a fan that can be used year-round and an air filter that helps clean the air in my apartment....more info
Poor at drying the air & very cumbersome to move We have the WA-1220M model of this product (virtually identical). If you stand right in front on it, up to about 5 feet away, it's nice. However, it has several drawbacks:
1. It isn't very good at drying the air; evaporation is needed for effective air-conditioning (whether in your car or your home).
2. It must be drained of the water it does pull from the air, and draining the unit is very cumbersome. It comes with a small flexible plastic tube that has to be connected to the rear bottom of the unit; the other end must be lower in order to drain or the unit really does very little and although there's an indicator light that will come on if the unit is quite full of water, it's very rare that the light comes on (and it only does so LONG after the unit has stopped cooling the air). We have taken to wrapping a large towel around the far end of the tube to collect water that drains, but basically you must tilt the heavy unit backwards to try to drain it. This is not particularly effective but it must be done.
3. It has wheels, but it doesn't roll easily (it's hard to push or pull it in a straight line and the wheels are so small even getting over a low rug is difficult.
4. Moving the unit up or down a single step can be accomplished by one person but since the entire unit is made of very smooth, slippery plastic (it has handles but they're very shallow & not helpful), it's more safely accomplished with two people.
5. Consider that this unit, while mobile, sacrifices a good window seal. The large exhaust hose (which pumps the hot air outside) resembles a telescoping dryer hose that easily falls out of the backside of the unit and is awkward to extend evenly. The unit comes with a smallish piece of foam with a cutout hole for the hose. However, you are left with having to find some way to block the rest of whatever window you choose to put the hole into. We use a large carboard box panel and cut a hole out of, then duct-tape the box into the window opening to block out air seepage. As you can imagine, it looks pretty tacky.
Do not buy from this company This company makes products that are useless. Unfortunately I did not read the other reviews before purchasing from them but now am experiencing first hand there shoddy workmanship, if you could even give them that. Used it for two days and worked ok, now just blows hot air. now I have to deal with all the hassle of returning, which I can probably only exchange it for another lemon. These products are a waste of money and given all the other negative feedback, this company should be reported to the better business bureau if they haven't already...more info